Friday, December 14, 2007

Quick Gifts

I love to make jewelry and I'm always looking for ways to incorporate fiber into every part of my life.


Here is a quick version of a ribbon necklace. I made the handspun yarn necklace the same way.












The ribbon clasps are dirt cheap at any craft store. The only real thing I have to add is that I tie a knot before crimping the ends. It seems to keep slippery ribbons in place. I also have a dedicated pair of nail clippers in my jewelry kit. (No funky toes on my lovely things, please.) I find it easier to use nail clippers than scissors to get in close to the clasp to trim the ends.












This snowboarder charm is for my oldest. I think she's going to like it.

After making the ribbon necklace, I finally thought of a way to use little bits of special yarns to make wearable treasures.

I can't throw out odd little bits of my handspun yarns. It seems such a waste. This black necklace is made from the tiny bit leftover from David's hat. Wearing it feels like I have a piece of "him" with me all day.
I plan to make more necklaces from the trimmings of Isabel's knitwear and my favorite spinning. I think the clasp makes it "real" jewelry, rather than just knotting the yarn.

1 comment:

CraftyGryphon said...

This is a *really cool* idea. I've got a bunch of pretty dangles, and a bunch of pretty yarn... wheee!