Sunday, September 28, 2008

S is for Super Bulky Spinning

I've been spinning yarn for a coat. I high school and college, I used to wear a vintage USSR Navy coat. I loved it. It was wool and tailored and had great buttons. I've wanted a knit pea coat to replace it for while, but I didn't see a pattern that really appealed to me. I love the stitch and the style of Teva Durham's jacket.



Spinning super bulky yarn isn't as easy as it looks. I have to spin slowly to avoid getting too much twist and I often need lap joins to repair super skinny spots.
I am impressed that the spinning went so well. I am getting perfect gauge so far. Usually I can't get gauge even with the recommended yarn.





I'm used to my personal style being sloppy and comfortable, but this stitch is really sophisticated. I hope the finished coat will give me a little more winter style than my current red puffer coat.

4 comments:

CraftyGryphon said...

Okay, that's going to be really cool.

(I learned how to spin with a drop spindle this weekend. I will eventually be Dangerous.)

Susan said...

The more I see people spinning, the more I have to try! Love the coat, love the yarn, can't wait to see it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I have been look ing for a pattern of a perfect pea coat and that is it. I'll have to look for that magazine. I would love to see your knit project when you are finished.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I've had the same issues with super bulky spinning. That and I had about 30 yards (plied) fill a bobbin, so I'm only around 200 yards out of 800 finished for my own coat, which will probably be done right around the time we move to Texas and no longer have a need for wool clothing.