Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Warm Hands



I made a pair of thrummed mittens. I used my handspun, navajo-plied corriedale and some leftover roving scraps from other projects.




They were so soft and delightful before I foolishly steam blocked them. Now the thrums are flat, flappy, and icky. I feel each one between my fingers. Wearing them reminds me of elementary school Halloween parties--reaching into bowls of peeled grapes and oiled spaghetti as part of a G-rated scarefest. These mittens need a microfleece lining. Their new home is next to the sewing machine until I get motivated. Fortunately, the weather is windy and snowy. Nature is my muse.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry about the thrumbs - they still look good. are you going to make another pair?

Citizen Woman said...

These are so beautiful - in spite of the washing bit, I'm completely inspired to make a pair! The colors are so well chosen. May I ask where you obtained the roving for them? I've never thrummed before...

Knit - R - Done said...

Jee Jee,

I dyed the roving myself. I'd be happy to send you a few ounces to make thrummed mittens. You can email me at: alexcateye@msn.com and I can send it to you. You could also check out Etsy for some great handpainted stuff.

Best of luck!
Alex