Thursday, July 16, 2009

Shortening a toe-up sock


I finished my entrelac vacation socks. They are gorgeous, but too long. It's pretty easy to adjust sock length on cuff-down socks, but toe-ups and afterthought heels are a bit of a challenge. I'm never willing to unravel a whole sock to shorten it 2 cm and I'm not afraid of grafting, so I do surgery on my socks to get them just right.
I had a camera handy, so I decided to document my process.

The first step is to mark the sock where you want to shorten it. A locking stitch marker works great. Then you start picking up the entire row by putting the right leg of each stitch onto spare sock needles.


Lookin' good!


The you pick up a stitch one row above the picked up row and pull it until it's about an inch long. Cut this stitch. Now unravel the clipped row. I used a crochet hook to pull out the stitches. (It won't unravel the same way as regular knitting because you're working in the opposite direction. You'll need to pull the end though each stitch.)


Ah, that's better!


Now you graft the toe shut. You could use the tail you just unraveled, but I didn't want to deal with kinky yarn. I cut a new length of fresh yarn and wove in the ends.




Brand new toes! They fit.

1 comment:

CraftyGryphon said...

Oh, very cool!! I have a pair that needs this operation... thanks for the play-by-play!