Sunday, October 19, 2008

This is my rifle...


My husband is always on my mind. I want to understand him. I want to know every aspect of him. I think of him at work in Korea--the David I don't know. He's tough and cocky. He wears camouflage and sunglasses. He rocks a beret. He is handsome and dangerous. He smells like gun oil, wool, and sweat.

He uses two types of gun on patrol: the M9 and the M4.

The machine gun is slung casually across his chest like a guitar. He rarely pays much attention to it. I want to know every curve of the metal. I imagine his strong, masculine hand resting on the stock as he checks identification.

His jaw is set differently when he is working. He's quiet and fierce. He can chew gum like it's a weapon.

I love my David. He's the first cop I ever saw as a person rather than an annoyance. The things he does are beautiful because they are a part of him, even if I don't fully understand.



M4 Rifle: wool, cotton, silk, mohair, metallic fiber on canvas
measures 8 by 12 inches before finishing

Look for the M9, coming soon.

5 comments:

Mar said...

I love it. You are a very clever person. Really, I was also getting a little, shall we say, 'hot' while reading. LOL

CraftyGryphon said...

I like "War and Piecework" as a tag.

I got my roving! I got my roving! I'll probably just spend a week with it sitting in the middle of the room (under the lamp, on top of the other yarn) as a centerpiece of sorts, it's so pretty! Thank you!!

Sherezada said...

I saw this in the CraftGossip.com Flickr pool, and had to come to learn more.

This is an amazing piece of stitching, and your prose just brings it all the more to life. It's really hit a chord with me.

I hope you don't mind, but I had to share this in my personal blog (http://handeyemindmouth.blogspot.com/). I have a post that's going up tomorrow morning. I hope its okay with you.

A'Parent said...

I saw this on the embroidery flickr pool and had to check out your blog to see if you had posted anymore. I was a Marine for several years, so was immediately drawn to this piece. I'll be interested to see more.

Brook said...

this is so cool! my boyfriend actually is an ex marine who went to iraq twice... and is in the process of possible getting recalled...