Thursday, October 30, 2008

V is for Vegetarian

I never have liked eating meat. Meat was the subject of many fights with my parents. I spent many nights crying over plates of leathery liver or bloody elk steak, knowing I would be served the leftovers for breakfast. Now I'm a grown up and I can eat whatever I want.

The rest of my family likey the meaty. I have learned to cook things that appeal to my everyone. Here is my bestest ever veg recipe. If you don't tell anyone it's tofu, they might not know.



Tofu Alfredo Sauce


1 (12.3 oz) package firm silken tofu (The slimy kind the the aseptic package works great.)
1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp marjoram or oregano
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp liquid smoke seasoning
1/4 to 1/2 cup of unsweetened soymilk or regular milk

Throw everything in the blender and mix until smooth. Pour over hot pasta and stir to coat. You could also heat the sauce in the microwave for a minute or two.

You can easily make this vegan, just substitute another 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast for the Parmesan. I don't recommend raw garlic because the sauce doesn't get cooked, but if you like the taste of raw garlic, go ahead.




My kooky kids have asked for a Tofurkey for Thanksgiving. It brings a little tear to my eye.

5 comments:

Team Knit said...

I was vegetarian for 16 years, and you're right- most meat eaters never know the difference! They say they do, when you tell them, but I'm convinced they can't tell.

- Julie

Veronica said...

Hey, that sounds good. I am a long time veg, but I'm always looking for new ways to appease my recently-veggie husband.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a veg too. Are all your readers vegetarians or what? I totally want to eat that pasta right now.

Lovs2Knit said...

Why do parents force their kids to eat food they don't like? Mine never did that. If we didn't like something we weren't forced to eat it. I'm the same way with my kids. They have to try it once and if they don't like it then they don't have to eat it. There is very little that they don't like though.

A none veg here but we all enjoy veggie meals too. I like meat but hate very passionately anything that comes from Bambi or one of his buddies. The thought of eating elk, deer or antelope makes my stomach turn.....hate the taste. Yuck!

karen said...

Wow this does look GREAT! Will try it out and see if anyone notices ;) Thanks!