Saturday, November 1, 2008

Aunt Carolyn's Scarf

I dyed a few hanks of sock yarn last month. It was a lot of fun, and I no longer notice the smell of vinegar. I think my nostril hair was burned off by the steamy vapors.



This colorway was for my Aunt Carolyn. She's sassy and funny and loves purple. I was going to give it to her for Christmas, but she just had a brain tumor removed. I think she needs a yarny pick-me-up from me.


This scarf is soft, warm, machine washable, and funky enough for my crazy aunt. Want to use up some sock yarn? Here are my directions.



Aunt Carolyn's Scarf


This scarf is worked from the center out so each edge will be scalloped.


400-440 yards of sock yarn

Size F crochet hook

Gauge not critical, but my finished scarf measured 6 x 68 inches.

Arcade Stitch
Found in many stitch dictionaries, Arcade Stitch is a multiple of 6+8.
Row 1: Skip 1 chain, 1 single crochet in each of the next 2 chains, *chain 3, skip 3 chains, 1 single crochet in each of the next 3 chains*, chain 3, skip 3 chains, 1 single crochet in each of the last 2 chains, chain 1, turn.
Row 2: 1 single crochet in 2nd single crochet, *5 double crochet in 3-chain space, 1 single crochet in 2nd single crochet of 3-single crochet group* turn.
Row 3: *Chain 3, 1 single crochet in each of 3 central double crochet*, chain 2, 1 single crochet in turning chain, chain 3, turn.
Row 4: 2 double crochet in 2-chain space, *1 single crochet in 2nd single crochet, 5 double crochet in 3-chain space*, 1 single crochet in 2nd single crochet, 3 double crochet in 3-chain space, chain 1, turn.
Row 5: 1 single crochet in each of the first 2 double crochet, *chain 3, 1 single crochet in each of the 3 central double crochet*, chain 3, 1 single crochet in last double crochet, 1 single crochet in turning chain, chain 1, turn.

Repeat rows 2-5.

To make scarf, chain 50. Work Arcade Stitch until piece is half of the desired length. End with row 2. Break yarn. Going back to original chain, attach yarn with a slip stitch on same side as yarn tail. Start Arcade Stitch again, beginning with row 1. Work until desired length, ending with row 2. Finish off. Weave in ends, but don't trim. Block as desired. Trim ends when dry.

No comments: