Friday, August 29, 2008

A recipe--everybody's doing it.


I have a whole year to work on myself and I want to have something to show at the end of this time. My biggest goal right now is more energy. I've been trying to eat better since my husband left. I'm retraining myself away from bad habits and embracing proper nutrition as a means of getting a better quality of life.

I have a horrible sweet tooth, so I'm also learning to bake treats filled with fiber and vitamins. It's like I've fallen in love with cooking all over again by using better, healthier ingredients. The Fat-Free Vegan is a great source of ideas and recipes. I found this recipe on Daisy Jane and tweaked it a little to fit the ingredients I have in the house right now.


Here's my version:

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Crust:

2 C regular or quick oats

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbps butter

1/4 C water

Filling:

8-10 dried figs

1/2 cup golden raisins

1/2 cup chopped dates

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar plus 2 tbsp water

2 tbsp honey

1 tbsp vanilla extract

2 tsp cinnamon


Blend half of the oats in food processor until fine, then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Pulse a few times until combined, but still textured. Add the wet ingredients and blend about 20-30 secs. until it mixture begins to pull away from sides of bowl and come together.

Press half the crust mixture into the bottom of a sprayed, 8-inch square baking pan (as you would make a graham cracker crust). Reserve remaining crust for top.


Spray inside of food processor with cooking spray. Pulse the figs, raisins and almonds until a ball forms in the bowl of food processor. Scrape down sides and add remaining ingredients, blending until combined. Spread the filling evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining crust mixture over the filling. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. The fruit filling will be very hot.

5 comments:

zakkalife said...

looks like a good recipe and I really like figs, mm.

Anonymous said...

Right now I'm obsessed with homemeade granola with craisins, almonds and extra wheat germ. it's so good with plain yogurt or over bananas with a bit of milk, mmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Ooh, looks delicious! I'll have to try it this weekend. Thank you.

CraftyGryphon said...

Hmmm. Those sound good (and healthy). I may try them this weekend...

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

That sounds very good!